Saturday, July 9, 2016

The Essentials of Spooning


Greetings to you my fellow BETs!

This morning my wife greeted me with a very simple question.  While handing me a large wooden spoon she said, “Do you want to open the window?”  Now, to many people, that may seem like a strange bit of theater.  To us, after thirty-one years of marriage, it makes all the sense in the world.  We’ll get back to why in just a bit.

Many things about marriage are confusing for men at first.  I remember being newly married and how jealous I would get if Brenda even talked to another man.  I remember not understanding her desire to just be in the same room as me doing nothing.  I also remember not understanding the protocol for towel folding vs. towel hanging in the bathroom.  I must admit, that last one still has me a bit confused.

Love is an amazing thing.  I think many of us have this romantic view of love early on in our relationships that looks more like a Disney or Pixar movie.  The gentleman and the fair lady meeting after first seeing each other from afar.  The expectation that the image in their minds would match the reality of who they would encounter as their hands first touched, eyes locked, and lips met.  In the movies, this meeting usually goes exactly as planned; They fall in love and live happily ever after.

Don’t get me wrong, Brenda and I, I believe, are living our happily ever after.  But it looks a little different than in the movies.  It involves things like making Rice Crispy Treats together and working together to get all (Read some) of the dog hair out of the living room. Or maybe even the situation I referred to in my opening paragraph.

Our house has many windows that work seamlessly.  They are the kind that when you open them, they stay at whatever level you opened them to.  Except, for the one window that we have to open to get a breeze going in our little house.  This one requires a large wooden spoon to be propped in the window well to hold it open for maximum breezification; Ahhhh! The wooden spoon!

Our life together has been a wonderful ride.  There have been ups and downs, triumphs and disappointments, happiness and pain.  Our love has carried us through it all.  But not the romantic, kissy-kissy, always happy to look you in the eyes kind of love.  It has been the kind of love that grows just by sharing space with a person.  The love that understands that the question you may have just been asked, has come at the culmination of a conversation that your spouse has had solely in their own head.  The love that comes only from years of taking that spoon and propping up the window…no questions asked…or needed.

Remember, if you like what you are reading, don’t forget to follow me on Networked Blogs, or Google Plus, or subscribe on the top right, and recommend posts at the bottom of each post using Google Plus, Twitter and Facebook etc.  Thanks again for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment