Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Teacher Appreciation Week, As Holidays Go; One of the BIG Three!


Greetings to you my fellow BETs!

Every year, we have a little thing called Teacher Appreciation Week.  I honestly don’t remember when this is exactly, but I know it is near the end of the school year.  At times, it feels like a made up holiday week to keep us going for the final push to get us to the end of school.  Saying that out loud, it may very well be.
Teacher Appreciation Week Lunch-Day One

Regardless, the sentiment is appreciated by all teachers, of that, I am sure.  The principals often have treats for us during the day and at least one lunch is provided during the week.  These are nice extras, but totally unnecessary at my school, I believe.  Let me share why I feel this way.

Our principal is an amazing man.  He juggles the many facets of his job and is still able to keep everything running smoothly.  In the midst of this, he is wonderful at letting his staff know that they are appreciated on a pretty consistent basis.  He is truly a great manager, and this is high praise, as I have worked for some really great ones! (One of whom I referred to frequently as a prophet!)

My students are also amazing.  They provide all the encouragement I need on a daily basis, just by being themselves.  Yes, it is nice that they are asked to write us little notes during Teacher Appreciation Week.  Yes, I like to read lines like, “I like Mr. Ringenberg because he is chill!”, or, “Thanks Mr. Ringenberg for being such an awesome teacher and letting us eat candy in your room.”  Although those sentiments don’t necessarily translate to “Thanks Mr. Ringenberg for imparting your knowledge all up in this place!”, they do remind me that I am appreciated by my students, and what more could I ask?

My point is, that my students and principals don’t need to set aside a specific week to let me know I am appreciated.  I know this by the 2 minute conversation I have with my boss that tells me he is aware of what I am trying to accomplish in my classroom, and he is there if I need his help.  I know this when one of my students comes up and says “Are you okay?” and asks me what’s on my mind.  I know this because, at my school, we are all in this together, and we have each others back…student, staff, and teacher.

So, in closing, thank you for the recognition, it is appreciated, but unnecessary.  And, feel free to continue to provide lunch and treats for us!  I will not be accused of looking any gift horses in the mouth!


Remember, if you like what you are reading, don’t forget to follow me on Networked Blogs, or Google Plus, or subscribe on the top right, and recommend posts at the bottom of each post using Google Plus, Twitter and Facebook etc.  Thanks again for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment