Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My Life as an Unpublished Author



Hello out there all you BET's!  So, it has once again be awhile since my last post.  In that time, I have finally finished my first children's book.  I have submitted it to the publishing agent I really want, and now it is all about waiting...and contentment...and counting my blessings...and all of the other stuff I say to myself to keep from thinking about being unpublished.
Before

After

This book has been a labor of love for over seven years.  Garrett The Wandering Goose(working title) was started about two years before Garrison passed, and then I took a five year hiatus to grieve and blame myself.  Not the best use of a hiatus, but I am finally back in a good place, hence the completion of the book.(I love it when I can find a use for the word 'Hence')

Anyway, for those of you who know me, you know that a seven year timeline on the book is not so outrageous.  After all, it took me eleven years to get my Bachelors degree.  And I think I am the first recipient of the 17 year Masters at IU.  So seven years is nothing in Mark World.  I am just glad I am not a dog or these numbers would be ridiculous...er.

So, my story is about a goose who is too cool for the gaggle or skein, depending on their flight status, and decides to go out and seek his fortune elsewhere.  He has numerous adventures and comes to the conclusion that a gooses life as a loner goes much slower and is much harder, especially in flight.  So he learns to be a good friend and helps himself, and the other geese learn about forgiveness, fortitude, and proper flight.

About six years ago, upon reading the first draft, Brenda said, "You realize this is your own story, right?"  I totally denied it and pointed out that my life doesn't rhyme nearly that much.  But after much reading and shouts from my office of, "No Way!  That is me!", I came to the conclusion that she was right.  I also came to the conclusion that most children's books and fiction books in general, are someones story.  Even the Grinch rings true for many of us.  And don't get me started on how many of my friends are the Lorax...and Wilford Brimley of course.

There is great freedom in being unpublished.  I know how great my story is and I can just live with the greatness of the text in my head.  No outsiders input to tell me what mistakes I made or that geese don't really behave the way I have depicted them.  So now that the writing is finally out of the way, I can move on.  I am currently starting Garrett's next adventure, just to make sure I don't lose my unpublished writer's touch.  Ahh, freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment