Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Volunteers! Come One, Come All!



One of our readers from yesterday brought up a good point in her post to me.  What about all of the people who volunteer at our schools to help carry the load.  Absolutely!

We have several volunteers at our Elementary school.  Some, you know very well, because it seems they are there as much as all of the rest of us.  Some, you don't know quite as well, maybe a familiar face in the hallway or at recess.  And some, you would have no idea that they make a great contribution on a regular basis, just because they work behind the scenes.

We have one parent who comes in to volunteer, I would say, three days a week, on average.  When I first started working there, I really wondered about this woman.  "Do you really have nothing better to do than hang around a bunch of Kindergartners?", I thought.  But then, I got it.  She had better things to do, sure, but she was hooked.  The kids gave her energy and enthusiasm.  They gave her as much as she was giving to them.

Another parent I see weekly is one of those, "Do I know you?" volunteers.  She is seen in the halls occasionally, but most of the time she is working with the front office or in the lunchroom during off peak eating time.  I don't see exactly what she does, but I see the results of it in the school.  I see the people she has been helping feeling a bit less burdened by their day.

Of course you don't have to be a parent to volunteer.  My ideal volunteer would be a ten foot tall person with sticky hands.  This would come in mighty handy getting the balls off the roof during recess.  Yes, you can even volunteer for recess duty!  We have one regular recess volunteer that is in great shape and he runs the kids until they are exhausted!  I love that.  I tried to run with him once and gave up before the first muscle on my leg had moved.  He makes me tired just watching him.  But man, does he help me with the kids.  His presence allows me to really watch the kids and be a better recess aide.

So, how do YOU get involved?  It is very simple.  Come to the school of your choice and ask!  If they tell you they have plenty of help, they aren't looking hard enough.  There may be a bit of paperwork or maybe a short background check, but it will be worth it, trust me.  These kids will pay you in hugs and smiles more abundantly than you will be able to handle at first, so be prepared!

Now, go volunteer!

PAEWX2KFYWBU

No comments:

Post a Comment