Friday, May 2, 2014

Elementary School Volunteering

Good afternoon BET's!

I love working at schools!  The day in day out, kids saying the most amazing things and doing things that boggle the mind.(Both good and bad.)  But is it the paycheck at the end of the week that we do it for.  I submit to you a resounding and pleasant, NO.

Flat Stanley at a generic Elementary School


I had the pleasure of working in a an elementary school that welcomes me back any time I can make it in.  I come in unannounced and they find something for me to do.  I open car doors in the morning.  I referee recess all throughout the day.  Sometimes they even trust me to help out at my old job in the library.  I just love coming in and being welcomed to volunteer in whatever capacity they find for me that particular day.

I can tell you one thing for sure.  I have never been turned down to volunteer at this school.  I would venture to say that if you do the same in your local school system, you will receive a similar response.  I don't think it is my amazing skill set that makes this a reality for me.  The truth is, these schools are short staffed frequently and can always use an extra pair of loving hands.  More importantly, the kids need that extra attention as well.

Your presence can free up a teacher that is spread too thin, and might allow them time to focus more on what they need to be working on with the kids.  I have also found that the students they may have me working with, just needed a little extra attention that day, and may make the rest of their day a much more effective use of their time.

Sure, volunteering doesn't pay much monetarily.  Actually, by definition, it pays nothing monetarily.  But, not to be too cliche, it pays huge dividends to my heart, and hopefully the hearts of the kids I get to work with.

Today I was paid in my favorite currency; Hugs and Smiles.  So, don't be shy.  Get in there and let them benefit from your time and heart, and the rewards will be yours to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment